Friday, February 17, 2012

Where have I left my brain?

As I was mailing off a 30th birthday card to my sister-in-law earlier this week, I remembered my 30th year. Then I prayed fervently that hers would be 500 times more joyful, fun, and happy than my pretty unpleasant one.

So I was going to reminisce on the heartbreak of my 30th year until I just now remembered I'm actually 32, not 31, and so the most horrible year would have been my 31st. How can I not even know how old I am? Possibly because I try hard not to care? Or maybe just because I'm 37 weeks pregnant, my hormones are crazy, and most nights I get very little sleep?

And come to think of it, wouldn't the year after I turned 31 actually be my 32nd year? So, the horrible year would have been my 32nd year, I'm now in my 33rd year, and my upcoming birthday will make me 33 years old.

I don't even know if there's a point in writing anything else in this post. Welcome to the madness in my head!

Reminiscing on the worst year of my life would have been completely unproductive anyway, so apparently even in this lapse of rational thinking my brain is saving me from myself. And all I have to say about the current year is that time is going ever so slowly. John and I were talking last night about how long this pregnancy has seemed. Partly due to the fact we found out almost as soon as one can discover a pregnancy, partly due to all the anxiety and fear as we waited for the first trimester to be over, and partly due to all the major life changes that have ensued since finding out we were pregnant.

My four-year-old nephew has recently started telling my sister that I've had my baby (that's as opposed to telling her I have a baby inside). We think this is a long pregnancy! For him, I suppose this pregnancy is 1/6th of his life! That's like five and a half years for me (if I am indeed about to be 33 and not 32 as I assumed as recently as an hour ago)! John would like to point out that, at this point, our nephew probably doesn't even remember life before I was pregnant with our baby girl.

I still hope my sister-in-law has an exponentially better birthday and year than I had when I turned 30. Perhaps she, too, can have the blessing of not remembering how old she is...or caring! You're only as old as you feel anyway!

No comments: