Thursday, October 06, 2011

Just some honest thoughts

Before I knew for sure that we would be moving this fall, I had grand plans of taking an awesome vacation during my second trimester, assuming I made it to my second trimester. After all, I have not been on a vacation at all this year and I'm assuming that vacations will be off the list of things to do next year with an infant.

And now here I am, over a month into my second trimester, living in an apartment in a new city with very few friends around, closing on a house in a couple weeks, still waiting for the previous house to sell, and scrutinizing which appliances and home furnishings we need to/should/can afford to purchase at this time.

It is not the vacation I had imagined in my head. Part of me wishes I'd known when we took that last trip (I believe it was Hawaii over a year ago!) that it would be the last for a couple years. Oh, what a pity party I can throw for myself!

In reality, I'm probably craving a trip somewhere to escape from the change, loneliness, constant decision-making, and stress of moving. I'm just going to have to find better ways of coping. (And that most likely should not include shopping since we're doing plenty of that already this year, sleeping-in every morning, or burying myself in books and movies to take me into an alternative reality. Though it could be argued that soon enough I will be giving up all the sleeping-in and uninterrupted book/movie time.)

I had four years longer than I'd planned to travel (and get plenty of sleep, and read or watch movies whenever I wanted). This baby is NOT unwanted, for sure! I think it's the move away from friends, my job, family, and familiarity that is unwanted. Though, even that will prove to be a blessing when the baby joins our family and my husband can be in town all the time.

It sure doesn't take too long of me being out of a routine to become introspective! Time will tell whether that's a good thing or not! (I promise not every post will become a place for me to dump all the random thoughts in my head. OK, at least not the boring, "poor me" thoughts!)

1 comment:

Joni Buck said...

If you can't travel then do not feel guilty spending your second trimester on yourself! Books, movies (maybe even treating yourself to one in the theater), sleeping in, cooking. Do all these things now and enjoy them for what they are...an endangered species! If there's anything you don't get as a new mom that's "mommy time" so enjoy it while it lasts!