Monday, June 13, 2011

It's not even summer yet.

You wouldn't know from the weather we've been having lately, but the first day of summer is going to be June 21. That's still a week away. And while I don't enjoy the tremendous heat, I definitely like all the daylight! I love that it's starting to get light at 6 a.m. and darkness doesn't completely set in until 9 p.m.

I will consciously enjoy these long hours of daylight over the next week, because once June 21 is over the days will be getting shorter.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say I'm boycotting our local ABC station for weather coverage. (OK. I'll probably still watch the news, but I'm not going to trust the weather part.) Maybe you can spot the problem. Here was the most recent forecast for tomorrow:

"High 100. Mostly sunny skies, dry, hot and humid."

And I can guarantee you which of those adjectives doesn't belong because the mosquitoes are out in full force and I start sweating if I stand outside for longer than two minutes together.

In fact, I sacrificed and stood outside this morning way longer than two minutes taking pictures of my garden to show you (and to prove to myself in about a month that the garden was a success before it finally turned brown, curled up, and died in the scorching heat). If I wasn't so tired I would go find the camera and download those pictures right now.

But you'll all just have to wait until tomorrow. I have to say, digging, planting, and watching food grow and plants become large and green is one of my more satisfying hobbies.

No comments: