Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Growth

The seeds I sowed in the garden not so long ago are sprouting sooner than I expected.

I don't know what I expected, really. Last year I put in little transplants rather than seeds. I'm getting braver now that I've had success (with almost no work on my part) with growing broccoli from seeds.

Ultimately, I guess I expected that the seeds might sprout eventually, but didn't have any real bets on how big they might get before dying.

They're still pretty small right now, and I have no idea if they'll be productive, so it's a good thing we're not relying on my produce in order to eat. This vegetable garden is more of a hobby than a useful production.

Okra. If we get a lot of okra I'm not sure what I'll do with it all. We don't eat too much okra. I guess we might this year!


Zucchini. The way the plants went crazy last summer, I figured it couldn't be that hard to get them to grow from seeds. So far, I was right.



Tomatoes. Home-grown tomatoes are the absolute best tasting thing you can grow in your backyard period

The pole bean seeds went in late, so no seedling popping out of the ground yet. They just got planted because I just constructed (a very poor) pole bean trellis a few days ago. I am purposely NOT including a picture of my homemade pole bean stand on this blog because it is an embarrassment. I can only hope the seeds sprout, grow prolifically (without toppling the trellis), and cover up the ugliness of my creation.

(In my defense, I was a bit limited in what I could purchase for the trellis based on the fact that we do not own a truck and I couldn't fit any rigid, solid materials longer than about 7 feet in the vehicles we had access to. When/If the plants start growing I'll keep you updated on the success of the structure.)

No comments: