Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Window of Opportunity

The "worst ice storm in five years" is upon us.

Hot chocolate. Check.

Warm, fuzzy socks. Check.

A hot bath. Check.

Chocolate cupcakes. Check.

Heater cranked up. Check.

A big old pile of books waiting to be read. Check.

Tonight our small group was going to have a Girls Gone Wild night and a Boys Night Out. Emails flew back and forth all day until a decision was reached to postpone the event until next week since today's news was filled with dire warnings about how we should NOT venture forth from our homes this evening due to the catastrophic ice event that is going to take place.

As it turns out, my husband decided an hour and a half ago that he really needed to get to his out-of-town job and it looked like his early flight in the morning might end up being cancelled, what with all the HORRENDOUS ICE. After monitoring flights all day (they were all cancelled), he finally discovered one flight was taking off at 8:30 tonight.

So, men of our small group, I really appreciate your concern for everyone's safety in postponing your Boys Night Out. My husband is now flying through the "worst ice storm in five years" in a recently de-iced airplane after driving halfway across town in the storm to the airport.

Despite the radio reports that the roads are probably bumper-to-bumper cars with stalled traffic and accidents on every corner, my husband (who is now in the air somewhere over North Texas) assured me his drive to the airport was rather uneventful.

Ummm, maybe because the entire area was warned repeatedly throughout the day to "TAKE SHELTER! DO NOT VENTURE OUT IN THE ICE!"

While waiting to board the plane, my husband helpfully called to tell me he heard it was going to start "really sleeting in about an hour, so don't go out."

Oh. OK. (Do as I say, not as I do?)

And, really. I cannot think of the last time I decided I needed to leave the house to go somewhere at 9 p.m. on a weekday.

That's about the time I'll be getting into my pajamas and having a cupcake!

No comments: