Tuesday, January 20, 2009

(Ridiculous) Reality TV

I have had a cold the last two days, and (besides working) pretty much all I have been doing is sleeping. I hear the only thing I've missed on TV is coverage of pre-inauguration events and commentary.

And, truth be told, I actually missed the entire inauguration ceremony this morning. Judging by the headline news on the internet I assume we have a new 44th president.

Also, judging by the line at the post office and the patients at the doctor's office I was not the only one who missed the inauguration.

I don't know whether this makes me a bad American or your normal, run-of-the-mill American, but one TV event I did not miss in the last few days was last night's episode of The Bachelor. (That was my entertainment while sitting on the sofa wrapped in a blanket eating chicken noodle soup for dinner between taking a long nap and going to bed for the night.)

Since I was on cold medication I don't have many clear memories of the show, but I do remember thinking at one point, "If I were looking for a partner who was going to be the step-mom of my child, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to choose a woman who says in one moment she's 'ready to be a mom' and then follows that up by using no less than eight curse words in a single sentence."

But, let's face it; a bunch of friendly, sweet, honest, wholesome women would just not draw the huge viewing audience.

Oh, and I do believe the theme of the episode was "bust".

Not that this surprises anyone, but we do not have a DVR. After last night I am 100% certain the lack of such device dramatically decreases our TV-watching. Who (other than a woman at home by herself feeling run over by a Mack truck because of a cold) would sit and watch two hours of TV when there are six minutes of commercials every eight minutes?

To make up for my lazy evening of The Bachelor I think I might just go download some CNN videos of inauguration events...that'll stimulate the brain cells. (As in, I'll probably listen to an entire speech (or two or three) intently trying to figure out what the specific message is when it's all a bunch of generalized fluff about hope, change, and responsibility.)

OK. Realistically I will probably just go take another nap. My brain cells could use some rest before being assaulted with the goings-on of the U.S. political arena.

No comments: