Friday, October 10, 2008

Salons: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

In case you’ve ever thought, “Gee. I think I want to go get a pedicure where I can soak my feet in a bowl of fish and let them nibble in between my toes”, you are now out of luck. At least in the state of Texas.

My first instinct is that fish pedicures would be anything but sanitary. (OK, I lied. My first thought is – “Ewwwww, gross! Who would ever in a million years pay to do that?”) Apparently many salon operators never had that instinct and so had to be told that this procedure is now banned by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Fish, fish nibbling on multiple people’s feet, fish poop – it all screams UNSANITARY.

And DISGUSTING.

Thank goodness we have the Department of Licensing and Regulation to force some common sense into us.

In other salon news, I got my hair cut off a couple days ago. (This involved no wildlife of any kind.) I feel light and free, and Locks of Love has another hair donation. I’ve donated twice now and am not entirely sure if it will happen again. It gets tedious living with the long hair.

Although, I love the feeling of having completely new hair - a cut that everyone notices. A drastic change like this somehow brings innovation and freshness to life. With medium to short-length hair I figure I’d now have to shave my head for there to be a radical difference. I can say with a fairly high degree of certainty that will not be happening.

No pictures of the new hair yet, but there will be plenty of pictures on the Africa trip (six days away!!!). Note: on the trip to Africa there will be no blow-drying or styling of the hair, so one will have to use their imagination to capture the full effect of the new do.

No comments: