Monday, June 30, 2008

Whirlwind Weekend

The drive to my sister’s is about four hours. Driving there on Saturday, even if you DO leave at six in the morning, and coming back Sunday evening makes for a pretty short visit. (Especially when I could probably stay with my nephew just to hold him and play with him for a week at a time…easy!)

Basically we sat and talked, ate, played with D, ate, watched a movie, and ate.

It was quite enjoyable.

It was also quite hot since I believe the temperatures were hovering around 102 degrees all weekend. Thankfully, my sister has a fairly new house with a great AC. In fact, as I was taking a little nap Saturday afternoon I was reveling in the cold, cold air, thinking, “I’m pretty sure our house could NEVER get this cold, even if we set the thermostat to about 60 degrees”.

I had the privilege of making D’s first birthday cake. His dietitian suggested he not have chocolate, so white cake with white icing it was.

I was determined that there must be some chocolate involved for the rest of us, so my dad went to the store and came back with “chocolate extreme” ice cream. How did he know? It’s the perfect chocolate ice cream: chocolate, chocolate fudge, peanut butter cups, nuts…I approve.

(Although, D didn’t even try to put the cake in his mouth so it could have been chocolate or strawberry or anything really.)

In fact, D was not at all sure what this whole “playing with the birthday cake” thing was all about. The way he was looking at his hands and the cake, I’m fairly certain he might end up having bad dreams about the scary birthday cake. Hopefully his young mind can just forget all about it in a matter of days.

And here’s what we decided to get our nephew for his birthday:

It’s the Bumbo Baby Seat. The packaging states that it is “The one and only product of its kind” (or something close to that). This statement is followed by the claim that it has won “international awards”. I’m not sure in what category it would be able to win an award since apparently there is nothing to compare it to as it is a “one of a kind” product, but there you have it.

In any case, D seemed to enjoy it.

Although, not quite as much as some tissue paper he found and proceeded to play with for a good 30 minutes.

Never underestimate the popularity of free “toys”.

No comments: