Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Catching Up


I just can’t keep up! I should be writing more often to document Grace’s growth. It is happening so fast!

Soon after Grace turned one month, she started smiling at us. She now smiles quite a lot when she’s awake. A couple weeks ago she started “talking” to us a little more during her awake playtimes. She gurgles, and makes delighted noises. At her two-month appointment she weighed 9 lbs., 10 oz. and was 22 inches long. That’s the 18th percentile for weight and 34th for height.  She’s on her own little growth curve, so everything’s going well. She’s just a bit on the petite side (imagine that!). Also at that appointment, her pediatrician remarked on how well she can hold her head up. She definitely holds her head and shoulders up off the ground during tummy time. In fact, she refuses to lay her head down when she’s on her tummy! I’m a little sad she won’t sleep on top of my chest (then we could both get a nap at the same time), but lying on her tummy is apparently unbearable.

Saturday night I let Grace sleep as long as she would without getting her up to eat in the middle of the night. I fed her at 11 and she slept until 6:30! I’m still trying to figure out how best to do the late evening feeding and not have her wake up hungry at 5 a.m. I do not wish to start my day at 5 a.m. I know overall she’s a great sleeper, especially at night. The past couple days, she’s not been a great napper. She napped a whole lot on Sunday, then yesterday and today it’s been next to impossible to get her to sleep during the day. If she does fall asleep and I put her down, the nap only lasts for about 15 minutes before she wakes up.

Grace seems to be very social. (Although, busy days also tend to wear her out and cause her to sleep a lot the following day.) When we’re hanging out with friends, other kids or lots of family members, or when we have activities like church, Bible study, or lunch dates she seems extraordinarily happy. She’ll spend lots of time awake and happy, and then sleep in someone’s arms very contentedly when she’s tired.

On days like today, when she just won’t stay asleep if I lay her down, I usually resign myself to holding her for a nap at one point in the afternoon. I remind myself that rocking my baby is something that will be gone in the blink of an eye, so I just forget my to-do list and enjoy staring at her cute face and feeling her breathe. So what if the laundry doesn’t get done and the house is dirty?

Playtimes consist of laying on her play mat staring at the toys and accidentally batting at them, looking at her favorite book, “Look, Look” (a black and white picture book that makes her smile every time we read it), taking walks, rocking in her swing, sitting in her bouncy seat while I make dinner, dancing around with me, holding a rattle, singing songs while lying in my lap, smelling different things from the kitchen, and tummy time.

Despite the lack of daytime sleep the last couple days, I absolutely love being Grace’s mom and seeing her grow and change so quickly!

No comments: