Sunday, January 01, 2012

2012: I'm predicting a year of changes like I've never known.

When John told me at the end of October that he wanted to host a Christmas party at our house for his group at work, I was hesitant. We only just moved into the house at the beginning of November. I was planning to be gone for about a week in Seattle, and then we were planning a trip to see my parents for Thanksgiving. That only gave me a few weeks after Thanksgiving to get the house all settled and decorated for Christmas.

I'm glad we went ahead with the Christmas party. I needed that motivation to get stuff put away and Christmas decorations put up. More than anything, I think decorating the house for Christmas is what has helped really make this house feel like home.

So, this weekend of un-decorating is a little depressing. I'm always a little sad to put away the tree, garlands, poinsettias, lights, and nativities. We'd probably keep things around for another week or so if the bulk trash wasn't being picked up tomorrow; our Christmas tree either goes out to the curb now or it's going to have to wait until February to be picked up.

This third trimester is bringing with it some serious tiredness. As I take down Christmas ornaments, and box up other Christmas decor, I can't help but think of how exhausted I'll be getting all this done next year with a 10-month-old. Life is always changing. I wondered for a long time if I would ever be pregnant. Then I wondered if I would ever experience a full-term pregnancy, or ever have children in our family. It seems to be happening now. I cherish this pregnancy I never thought I'd have. I will appreciate having a child, or children, whom I thought might never actually be.

But this is the end of an era. Unlike so many changes that happen in a moment's notice, unexpectedly, I'm having nine months to prepare for this change. I'm aware with each holiday, each date with John, each day I get to take a long nap or sleep late, each errand I run by myself quickly, that these things are all about to change drastically.

2012 will be all about changes as we've never experienced them before. John will be working at his new job all year, we will continue to adjust to life in Oklahoma, and we will add another person to our family. While 2011, with its grief, uncertainty, moving, and cherishing of each day and week in the past six months, seemed a very long year, I have a feeling 2012 is going to be the beginning of time whizzing by.

I'll have to remember to keep cherishing each day and week. Before I know it, we'll be decorating for Christmas once again!

No comments: