Friday, June 05, 2009

Ramblings on Empty Promises and Frozen Dessert

Oh, it has been a good long while since my last post. Every other day I promise myself I will think of something insightful or witty to write about. Or I think of something entertaining and then promise myself I will find the time to sit down and type it out soon...very soon.

As you can tell, my promises to myself are empty.

In fact, the last two weeks, after returning from our fabulous trip to San Antonio, I have pretty much felt like I'm just keeping my head above water.

I've decided that just cleaning the house before a trip is not enough to make the homecoming an easy transition. (And OF COURSE I clean the entire house and get all the dishes washed before we leave town because, my word!, my head just might explode if I returned home to a dirty house with no clean dishes!)

(Sadly, I don't know for sure that my head would explode because I've never been brave enough to leave a messy house behind me while I vacation. And just for a little more insight: I like to get the dishes put in the dishwasher and the kitchen cleaned up after dinner BEFORE eating my dessert. Dessert is the best part. Why ruin it with some cleaning hanging over my head?)

I might have a neurosis.

What was I saying?

Oh yes. The cleaning before a trip. Well, even so, I tend to get home after a trip with about thirteen loads of laundry to do. So, then there's also ironing and dry-cleaning that needs to be done. And there's usually no food in the house, so a trip to the grocery store (let's be realistic - stores, plural) is in order. Going through all the mail and attending to whatever bills or whatnot that have accumulated is quite a lengthy process. Phone calls need to be returned, and it will take at LEAST a day to go through all the emails at work. Not to mention the actual work that needs to be caught up on.

So, all this to say, THAT is what I was doing last week.

Then this week my parents, sister and nephew (who is the cutest little boy in the world) came for a couple days on their way through town. So, I was busy playing and talking and cooking this week. Thus, no blog.

And after all this rambling, you are now probably grateful.

But wait! There's something else. I have news I must share. You can get free chocolate on Fridays through September. And I can't think of much right now that would be better than free chocolate.

OK. Maybe a free trip to Australia or Disney World. Or a free swimming pool with free maintenance in my backyard (oh yes, it is now becoming much like an oven when you step out the door here). But free chocolate is right up there.

AND I found some wheat-free, soy-free, sugar-free organic frozen dessert (think ice cream) in the store the other day that is the best non-ice cream I've ever tasted! In fact, I'd venture to say it's BETTER than ice cream while being better for you. Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss. They use agave syrup as sweetener instead of sugar (don't ask me exactly what agave is...it's a plant). And coconut milk instead of dairy cream/milk. The chocolate hazelnut fudge is delicious. I dream about this stuff. If you can get it in your area, try it!

The downside is that it comes in pints and they're $5 a piece. So, it's a bad idea to pull it out of the freezer when I'm stressed out because I end up eating way more than I can afford. But this all just reminds me how tasty fresh, natural, organic food is. Why are there preservatives, hormones, and chemicals in all our food in this country?

That's mostly a rhetorical question. Perhaps I will rant about this another day. Right now I might need to go have a little Coconut Bliss. And start cooking. (This is the weekend-o'-cooking around here. The get-togethers, parties, and pot-luck lunches are coming out the wazoo.)

No comments: